Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hot Shit

So I had a few things reinforced in my understanding in the last day or so.

So I got done working out yesterday (only second time in like 2 weeks sheesh) and i'm all pumped and my music was blaring on my iPod and I check my muscles on the way out of the locker room, like how I look in my sleeveless-too-small-for-me-workout shirt, so decide to leave that on. Put my kick ass shades on and wear my hat backwards, put the top down on the car and cruise off to Jamba Juice feeling like pretty Hot Shit! Drive over to JJ enjoying the feel of my recently pumped arms and thinkin' i'm pretty tough. Walk into JJ and order my drink. While waiting for my drink, half a dozen 16-18 yr old high school guys walk in. Most of which appear to be foot ball players and all of which pretty much make look average to slim in the muscle/size department. My ego was reasonably deflated. I realized that I'm really not Hot Shit. I'm just a dude. Here are 6 guys a good decade younger than me, all of which I had to stop and truly wonder if I could take in a fist fight. Why do I bother wondering about these things? What makes us constantly compare ourselves to other people? Do I need to prove something? Am I looking for approval from someone? I don't understand this competitive nature that seems so unreasonable sometimes. Is our worth relative? Is our worth based on what other people think of us or how we stack up to others? If so, then which people are we comparing ourselves to and who's approval are we concerned with obtaining?

I realized that compared to a lot of people, i am very much not Hot Shit, but at the same time, compared to other people, I am THE Shit. So am I or am I not Hot shit? It's all relative. So the answer... both. In God's eyes I am both not hot shit, being a sinful pitiful finite being, but i am also Hot Shit in his eyes as I am his son and a Father delights in his son and usually thinks he is The Shit.

So, do I concern myself with what other pitiful finite beings think, or do I realize that I am, at the same time, pitiful and amazing in the eyes of my creator and let that be my sustenance?

Also, there are people in this life, other finite beings that can see us similarly to how God sees us, as both pitiful and amazing. These people and God's opinions of me are the ones I believe I should and will concern myself with, in regards to better understanding my worth.

(beg yer pardon on the language. It's an expression.)

No comments: