Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What would you do for a Reese's Klondike Bar?

Have a wicked awesome birthday party!!!

Easy as pie. Although I had neither pie nor cake at my birthday party. I did have a plethora of beer though. And a healthy serving of friends, family and hecka good times.

So, I'm thirty and I just thought I'd blog about my party, partly because I'm a total narcissist and partly because I just can't stop thinking about how much fun it was and partly cuz this is my blog and I can write whatever I want.

So this year ushered in the first and I hope the last experience of the birthday blues. I'm not sure why, though I know one or two contributing factors, but for some reason I spent pretty much the entire final day of my 30th year on the planet in wanton listlessness and insurmountable ... grief? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I was literally on the verge of tears most of the day. Maybe it was menopause.

NEway, then I got home from work, walked in to my beautiful family, dropped my daughter off at her wednesday night youth group and had a fantastic meal at super little Greek restaurant with my amazing wife and the world seemed miraculously less pointless.

BLAH!

But then, three short days later, I had a superb birthday... superb. I started off the morning bright and early at 600AM with an early morning run to the laundromat (washer bit the dust two days before), while this may sound very un-fun I actually quite enjoyed starting such a beautiful day that early. Plus I like being handy, so it made me feel useful as well. Then a quick trip over to woodinville to rouse my favorite couple from there far too needed sleeping in time and make them/him help me load a couple of tables into my truck. Then back to drop off the tables and pick up my good buddy Matt and his grill to begin the party process. Back to my place to begin setting up the chairs, tables, grilling the meat, and what not. Finished there, Off to the golf course where we met up with several good friend and a couple new friends to enjoy a very pleasant 11 holes of golf (turns out, 18 holes takes far more than 3 hours, especially the way I play).

After realizing I was an hour late to my own party and not very likely to finish the 18 holes before a revolt started, I headed back to the house and there found about 20 of my dearest friends chilling out back with cold beers in their hands, smiles on their faces and sunshine in their hearts.... ok, well maybe not that last one, but I was sure happy to see them all when I got there. Then commenced several hours of eating, drinking, chatting, laughing, fire pitting, picture taking, music playing and general merry making as it were.

After saying good bye that evening and begining the clean up process I couldn't help but feel that, even though I had such a wonderful day, something was still missing. It nagged me for a while as I tried to figure out what it could be that would make my 30th birthday party absolutely complete. Then, as I walked around the corner of the house and saw the officer walk towards his car, it hit me.. a visit from our friendly local law enforcement officer. Yup, no party is complete without a visit from the police and that we had, so don't any of you start thinking that just because I'm getting old I don't know how to have a good time.

And now a few pics to document the occasion, courtesy of Peter













Is that two beers at once?... oh yes

No comments: