Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Clothing Optional Kneeboarding



I think we may use that to advertise the next JH/HS summer camp Drenched. Either that or as Mike suggested, Drenched: So much fun it'll knock yer shorts off! That, along with this amazingly flattering pic of me that Tammy took, are sure to get kids out to camp in droves.

So friday night... I went and hung out with my friend Bekah and had some dinner after work and then cruised home after a long week of work to relax at my place. Get home and what do I find? Some of my most favorite people in the world hanging out at my house. Tammy,Brien, and about half a dozen of the Sr. high crew. They were hanging out, eating "boogles", burning stuf in the fire pit, chatting... having community. It was really really cool. Everyonce in a while you catch a glimpse of life the way, I think, God intended it. Friends, community, fellowship.... good things. Ah, but like I said, I had had a long week and was in desperate need of some sleep, espeically if i was to get up and go out on the boat with Tammy and Brien then next morning at 6am. So I crash around 1130 or midnight or something... it's kind of a blur. Everyone else hangs till sometime after 1am, then pack up and head out.

Saturday morning rolls around and I drag myself out of bed after a couple snooze bars. Grab my sweatshirt, trunks, brand new $35 Costco special shorty wet suit, teva's and head out the door over to T's house. T isn't awake, i yell, T is still not a wake, Brien yells.... we hear a groan, we figure T is awake.... 15 minutes later, we realize that T is probably still not awake. Luckily her alarm went off about then and miraculously roused her from her blissful slumber.

Head over to the Barkers to pick up the boat and then Brien,Tammy, Josiah and i head out to Lake Sammamish to meet up with T's bro in law Mike. Follow the boat out to the lake. Get a mile down the road and something falls off the boat, I dodge said "something" and then thank the Lord for light Sat morning traffic while backing down the street to retrieve said "somethihng", whilst the boat haulers are none the wiser. Stop, get gas, get caffine, get fritter. Drive to park, load boat, get on boat. Admire Mike and Josiah's $35 Costco special shorty wet suits and feel like I'm in a club.

THe morning was beautiful, Brien, Josiah and Mike got in some killer time on the wake boards and then I pulled out the death trap commonly reffered to as a "knee board". I recall using one of these contraptions about 4 years ago at a friend of mines place and recalling that it was the only thing I could get myself out of the water on. Thus, not trusting my knees enough to strap into a wake board i figured a knee board would be a good investment and provide me with a means to enjoy a little time behind the boat. And for the most part, I was right. It only took me one try to get up on the board and then i was cruising along happy as a clam. I was perfectly fine with my little knee board and my little wake and my little side to side slide... but that just wasn't enough, was it? No. I say to myself "self, the guys on the wake boars were jumping and hopping all over the place. didn't that look like fun? I bet you could do that! Never mind the fact that they've been doing this for the past year or two and the fact that those were wake boards and you are on knee board. I'm sure you can do the same thing" This is what i say to myself... unfortunately myself is a very gullible creature at times and I believed myself... oh foolish mortal.

So i try cutting back and forth across the wake but i'm just not getting the pop i'm looking for, so I reason, having taken physics and all, that if in increase my velocity I could some how also thusly increase my elevation.... I was right. So i pull way out to the side of the boat pick up a tremendous amount of speed and the come shooting back across like a little speeding bullet back towards the wake. Everything is going according to my plan, muhahahaha.... Hit the wake and LAUNCH gracefully into the air and am immediately quite proud of myseslf. And then a split second later I start my decent and realize that I am a very great fool. Now if any of you have ever caught an edge on a snow board, then you pretty much know what happened next. Yeah, nose dives into the water, physics takes over, levers and pivots and all and then WHAM! Caleb's face, meet Lake Sammamish.

NEway, so got out, rested up, then foolishly tried again later with much the same results only the second time was more accidental. Second time unfortunately though left me with my eyelids in the back of my skull, one of which, when they came back out, was a lovely shade of purple. Yay! I then decided to call it a day.

It was fun over all and I was glad my new wet suit worked quite splendidly. Especially since my shorts didn't want to stay on.


So then I proceeded to come home with all the best intentions of napping for a while and then getting chores done, but instead I get on line and talk with Amanda for a while (which is always good) and then commence playing hours and hours of this new addicting game called Oblivion. Yeah, seriously like 5 hours later it's time for FUEL and I'm like "one more level, one more level..." wow, I need a support group or something. So then FUEL, where we listented to a missinoary couple who i had met before, speak on what they are up to and how they are getting ready to head out to the field for their first assignment. It was very exciting and very encouraging. The Knocks are a wonderful couple. Then Mike *from wake boarding* got up and told us about a recent trip he took to central america and the folks he met there and what was going on. The kids from the HS crew sent down a bunch of med supplies and things for the community that he was visiting, so it was nice to hear where they went and what they did. Then T got up and did a fine job of calling us all to step out boldly to do the things God has called us to do and to not be hesitant to find out what those things are.

Went to starbucks, grabbed some coffee, headed home to clean up a bit before the kids got there. Then pretty much the whole HS crew showed and we had like a dozen people in the living room. I went back to my room and chatted with my darling girlfiend and we hashed some things out learned a little more about each other. it was good. HS crew stayed till almost 2 and shortly there after I said goodnight to Amanda and attmpted to get some shut eye.

Sunday was me sleeping till noon, talking with amanda some more, going to a birthday party I had forgotten about, coming home, playing more video games, going to a creepy movie, then coming home and playing more video games.

While not the most productive weekend, it was a fun one. NEway, Hope you all are doing well. I have a butt load more going on in my life but it's time for more doing and less writing.

shalom

No comments: